CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Brooklyn Assistant Principal Accused Of Raping, Molesting Students

After School Program Employee Also Accused
Generic Classroom File Photo

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Brooklyn high school assistant principal was accused in a report Wednesday of raping an underage female student in his own office, and sexually abusing another.

An after school program employee who worked with the assistant principal was accused of molesting the same students — allegedly forcing one of them to perform oral sex on him.

Department of Education Special Commissioner for Investigation Richard J. Condon released a report Wednesday, accusing William Abreu – a suspended assistant principal at Progress High School for Professional Careers — of “forcibly raping” a 17-year-old recent graduate in 2009.

READ THE REPORT (Warning: Graphic Allegations)

The report also accused Juan Martinez of the after-school program Progress Inc. of forcing a then-16-year-old female student to perform oral sex on him in his office in March 2011.

Condon claimed in the report that Abreu and Martinez sexually abused both of the students, and subjected them to repeated explicit comments.

Abreu also allegedly told the younger student that having sex with him and Martinez was a condition of her office job at the school, and also asked her to have sex with others in exchange for money, the report said.

The report further alleged that Abreu threatened to have the 17-year-old reported to immigration authorities, and stole $1,500 from her mother – falsely claiming he would hire a lawyer for her.

The report went into graphic detail about the allegations.

The younger student, a senior at the time of the interview, allegedly told investigators she had applied and received a job doing administrative tasks and recording student information for Abreu after school.

The student told investigators that several months after she started, Abreu told her he wanted her to “dress sexy” and offered to give her money for clothing and styling, and also ordered her to kiss him whenever he asked and “have sexual relations” with him. She also claimed that Abreu said he planned to take her to out-of-town “political functions” where she would be paid to have sex with others, the report said.

Abreu allegedly spanked the girl when she refused to comply, and afterward in a different office, Martinez allegedly molested her and forced her to perform oral sex on him, the report said.

The older student told investigators that Abreu knew she was an undocumented immigrant, and suggested that he would hire an attorney for her – but she would have to pay by becoming his “girlfriend,” the report said.

Afterward, Abreu allegedly had forcible intercourse with the girl, and ordered her to come back the next day on threat of reporting her to immigration authorities, the report said. The girl was paid $100 per week to work in Abreu’s office for about a month, and she told officials he kept touching and molesting her despite her protests, the report said.

The student told officials that when she said she didn’t want to “do it” anymore, Abreu allegedly sent her to Martinez, who also molested her, the report said.

The student’s mother also said she gave Abreu $1,500 for a purported attorney to whom he introduced her, but whom she never heard from again.

Abreu has been suspended without pay since June 2012, when Condon accused him of making sexually explicit comments to three other girls who met with him to apply for summer jobs. Condon told 1010 WINS last year that in the earlier case, Abreu had each of the girls come into his office alone and asked them about their sex lives — and doing things sexually with him.

Abreu is also accused of asking another student if she ever performed oral sex on her boyfriend and allegedly suggested that she engage in anal sex.

The headlines about the earlier allegations prompted the latest alleged victims to come forward, Condon said.

“These two other girls saw the media coverage, and they went to someone at the school and told them that they, too, had been sexually harassed,” Condon told 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa.

Following the latest allegations, Condon recommended to Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott that Abreu be fired, and that he and Martinez both be made ineligible for future employment with the school system and its affiliates.

While neither Abreu nor Martinez has been charged with a crime, Condon said the case has been referred to Kings County District Attorney Charles E. Hynes for “whatever actions he deems appropriate.”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories: