NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – A motorcycle rider seriously injured when an SUV ran him over after an altercation on the West Side Highway was recently arrested in Massachusetts for driving with a revoked license.
Edwin Mieses Jr., of Lawrence, Mass., was struck on Sunday. He broke both legs and suffered a spine injury that his family said will leave him paralyzed.
According to police and Massachusetts motor vehicle records, Mieses hasn’t had a valid license or permit to drive in the state since 1999. He also never applied for a motorcycle license.
It isn’t clear if he had been licensed in any other state. He was arrested most recently on May 24 in Andover, Mass., and has had dozens of other violations.
Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times: In Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records and the Boston Globe.
Records show that the Registry notified the National Driver Register in June that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017.
Earlier Thursday, Rosalyn Ng, the wife of Range Rover driver Alexian Lien issued a statement.
Ng said the couple was out to celebrate their wedding anniversary with their 2-year-old daughter on Sunday when they “were placed in grave danger by a mob of reckless and violent motorcyclists.”
Watch The Full Video Below: WARNING — GRAPHIC IMAGES
Some New York City lawmakers are calling for a tougher crackdown on large crowds of motorcycles after the driver of a SUV was chased and attacked by a group of bikers on Sunday. State Sen. Adriano Espaillat, Assemblywoman Gabriela Rosa and others gathered Thursday in Washington Heights where they unveiled what they said was new video of Sunday’s biker rally.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Port Authority Blast Suspect Identified As Akayed Ullah, Is From Bangladesh And Lived In Brooklyn
- ‘Boom’ Then Smoke: Witness Describes Underground Blast Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
- Port Authority Officers Credited With Taking Down Suspect In Underground Blast
- Security Stepped Up In Wake Of Underground Explosion Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)