NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The Red Cross has stepped in to help hundreds of Superstorm Sandy evacuees thrown into housing limbo after New York City stopped paying to put them up in hotels.
Nearly 300 people displaced by the October storm were still staying in 27 hotels at city expense this week, but their last night on the city’s dime came Thursday. As of Friday they were to be on their own.
But the Red Cross said Friday that it had committed up to $1 million to extend the hotels of many of those families.
It wasn’t immediately clear, though, whether all would get help in time to avoid eviction.
Legal aid attorney Judith Goldiner told 1010 WINS reporter Mona Rivera that the last-minute funding was a miracle. Goldiner spent the day on Friday calling families to let them know that they could continue to stay in hotels.
“I think it’s a miracle. That’s all I can say,” she said.
A social service organization called New York Disaster Interfaith Services was hurriedly working to identify people who had been clients of the city program.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Seen At 11: ‘Defend, Attack, Live:’ Trainers Teach Students To Escape Active Shooters
- Queens Woman Says City Rain Garden Ruined Landscaping She Spent Thousands To Repair
- CBS2 Exclusive: Autistic Twin Boys From Westchester County Stuck On Bus For Hours On Way Home From School
- 15-Year-Old Girl Beaten In Park After Leaving Bronx Subway Station