NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Thanks to the American Red Cross, some Superstorm Sandy victims remained in hotels this weekend despite the end of a city-sponsored program.
As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, the Red Cross has committed up to $1 million to help those still out of their homes after Sandy stay in hotels in the five boroughs.
New York City authorities said they could no longer afford the rooms for the nearly 300 people staying in 27 hotels, so the Red Cross stepped up to help.
“There are families living in hotels who are Sandy survivors and they’ve identified permanent housing, it’s just not available yet,” said American Red Cross of Greater New York chief executive officer John Lockwood. “Rather than having those folks go out in the street, we wanted to provide a bridge and close the gap.”
Legal aid attorney Judith Goldiner told 1010 WINS reporter Mona Rivera that the last-minute funding was a miracle. Goldiner spent the day on Friday calling families to let them know that they could continue to stay in hotels.
A social service organization called New York Disaster Interfaith Services was hurriedly working to identify people who had been clients of the city program.
The hotel rooms run for about $260 per night.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Borough President Adams Calls For Vigilance As NYPD Investigates Possible Hate Crime In Crown Heights
- Passengers Relieved To Be Back On Land After Trip Aboard Royal Caribbean’s Storm-Battered Anthem Of The Seas
- DA: Building Owner, 4 Others Face Manslaughter, Other Charges In Deadly East Village Explosion
- Brooklyn Borough President Calls For Free Subway Transfers In Brownsville
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)