NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – The widow of a New York City transit worker electrocuted on the job has accepted a $4 million settlement from the agency on the eve of a civil trial in his death.
Jackie Knell cried as the agreement was put on the record in court Friday, the Daily News reported.
A judge had already ruled that NYC Transit was negligent for failing to protect James Knell. A jury only had to determine the amount of monetary compensation for his pain and suffering.
Knell, 45, was working on a rehabilitation project in Queens in April of 2010 when the accident happened.
Officials said Knell, a 13-year veteran of the transit agency, was electrocuted after coming into contact with the third rail.
The MTA says Knell’s death was an enormous loss for the MTA.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited NYC Transit on two items relating to Knell’s death, the Daily News reported.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Seen At 11: CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez Finds The ‘Reflux Fix’
- Police: Suspect Got Into Home, Took Items From Sleeping Couple’s Bedroom In Queens
- Proposed Legislation May Change Red Light To Yellow For NYC Bicyclists
- Police Keep Extra Eyes On Balloon Inflation, Thanksgiving Day Parade Amid Terror Fears
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)