NYC Buys Home Of Staten Island Woman Who Lost Family In Superstorm Sandy
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City announced its first purchase of a home damaged by superstorm Sandy on Thursday, acquiring property from a Staten Island woman whose husband and daughter were killed during the historic storm.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the purchase, which is part of the city’s “Build it Back” program that uses federal funds to offer homeowners the option to repair or leave property that was severely damage during last year’s storm.
Patricia Dresch shared her Tottenville home with her husband, George, and their 13-year-old daughter, Amanda. The walls of their home gave way when the storm hit, and George and Amanda were pulled under the surging tide.
“I lived there for 30 years. My family passed there. I didn’t want to know that property anymore,” Dresch told WCBS 880′s Peter Haskell.
Dresch, who was badly injured during Sandy, has been living at her church’s rectory since the storm and will use the money from the city to buy a new home in her neighborhood, but away from the water.
Dresch’s family did not evacuate for Sandy because their house was burglarized when they left because of Hurricane Irene in 2011.
“We’re happy to be helping Pat today, and we’ll continue to help everyone else who’s eligible just as quickly as we can,” Bloomberg said during a news conference at Staten Island Borough Hall. Bloomberg told Dresch he would like to be invited to dinner after she moves into her new home.
The city did not reveal how much they spent to purchase the home.
Bloomberg said more than 25,000 New Yorkers have signed up for the program but it’s unclear how many want to sell their homes. The state government is also offering an acquisition program for Sandy-damaged homes, but it will turn the property it buys into open space or parkland. The city is committed to building new homes that will be more resistant to future storms, Bloomberg said.
The mayor warned that there could be substantial delays with the program if the federal government shutdown continues and cuts off access to the federal money that funds the program.
A total of $648 million in federal aid has been pledged to New York City.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Police: Woman’s Finger Was Nearly Bitten Off In N.J. Mall Fight
- Seen At 11: Remodel Your Mind With BrainCore Therapy
- Police Seek To Identify Unknown Patient At Jamaica Hospital
- Prosecutors: Man Charged In Wife’s Slaying In Boonton Wanted Others Dead
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)