NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Cincinnati Reds general manager Walt Jocketty says his organization hasn’t reached out to Paul O’Neill, despite a report to the contrary.
A radio report said Wednesday that O’Neill had spoken with Reds owner Bob Castellini about the club’s managerial opening. Not so, according to Jocketty.
“We have not reached out to Paul,” Jocketty told the New York Daily News.
O’Neill, the Yankees fan favorite turned broadcaster, clarified to a local ESPN affiliate that he hadn’t yet talked with Castellini, though the two have chatted “about numerous things” in the past. The Reds fired manager Dusty Baker earlier this month after another early playoff exit.
“I would love to sit down and find out what their thoughts are. … I think anybody would be interested in taking a good team and winning a World Series,” O’Neill said.
O’Neill made his major league debut with the Reds in 1985. He was traded to New York for Roberto Kelly in Nov. 1992.
The 50-year-old O’Neill was a member of the Reds’ 1990 championship team. He won four more World Series titles with the Yankees before retiring in 2001.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories