The staging area is slated to be at the federally operated Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island.
Organizers of the Nov. 3 race say they’re working with city, state and federal officials to find an alternate site if the shutdown continues. The starting location won’t change.
They declined to say which site or sites they’re considering for the staging area but said it would remain on Staten Island.
About 45,000 runners participate in the 26.2-mile marathon.
Fort Wadsworth is part of Gateway National Recreation Area controlled by the National Park Service.
New York has 33 sites under the jurisdiction of the NPS.
National parks are closed down due to the government shutdown, which began on Oct. 1.
On Friday, a member of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration announced talks were under way to devise a way to reopen the Statue of Liberty.
The marathon was canceled last year because of superstorm Sandy. Instead, some runners already in New York for the race volunteered in the clean-up and relief effort.
Additional security is planned for this year’s event after twin bombings at the Boston Marathon killed three people and injured about 260.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Injured Hiker Rescued From New Jersey Waterfall
- Witness: Little Boy Told His Mom He Was Going To Go In Zoo’s Gorilla Enclosure
- Dangling Tractor Trailer Causes Major Backup On Sheridan Expressway
- Stephen Hawking Says He’s Baffled By Trump’s Popularity
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)