NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The ASPCA wants to make sure your pets are safe this Halloween and has some tips to help keep your furry friends happy and healthy.
Candy is great for trick-or-treaters, but it can be very dangerous for your dog or cat, said Dr. Louise Murray, VP of the ASPCA’s Animal Hospital.
Chocolate, especially dark or baking chocolate, can be particularly harmful. Candies with the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems.
“We have to keep it safely locked away from the dog where they can’t get to it and if a dog does ingest chocolate, you should call the ASPCA’s poison control or go to an emergency room with your dog,” Murray told 1010 WINS.
Murray said the safest place for your pet on Halloween is at home, but if you want to bring your pet trick-treating, there are some precautions you should take.
“You do need to be very careful to keep your dog on a leash and keep a tight hold on that leash because it is an evening with a lot of commotion and a loose dog is even more likely to get lost than usual,” she said.
Some other tips include:
- Be careful with candles inside carved pumpkins. Pets can easily knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire. They also run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.
- If you dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn’t annoying or unsafe. It should not constrict the animal’s movement or hearing, or impede his ability to breathe, bark or meow.
- When opening the door for trick-or-treaters, take care that your cat or dog doesn’t dart outside.
- If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
- Always make sure your dog or cat has proper identification.
For more information, visit www.aspca.org.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: