NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Streets across the Tri-State area will be filled with ghouls and goblins once again as Halloween resumes for the first time since bad weather caused a two-year hiatus.
In 2011, a freak October snowstorm ruined Halloween for much of the region. Trick-or-treaters in New York, New Jersey and Conn. were told to stay home or significantly curtail their traditional activities because of heavy ice and snow.
Last year, power outages, flooding and downed trees from Superstorm Sandy forced many communities to canceled Halloween festivities, including parades and trick-or-treating.[cbs-audio url=”http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/halloween-4-sandberg-jmaloney.mp3″ size=”340″ download=”false” name=”Halloween Extra Sweet After 2 Years Of Bad Weather Canceled Festivities” artist=”1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports”]
In New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday’s forecast appears to be on track for the first successful Halloween since 2011.
“I’m hoping that, for all of the communities across New Jersey but particularly those communities that have been most effected by the storm, places like Little Ferry and Moonachie, that there can be a close to normal Halloween,” he said.
After canceling events for the past two years, Christie said his own children asked him why he hated Halloween.[cbs-audio url=”http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/halloween.mp3″ size=”340″ download=”false” name=”Halloween Extra Sweet After 2 Years Of Bad Weather Canceled Festivities” artist=”WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reports”]
“That’s not true, I’m fine with Halloween and I’m really hoping for Halloween this year,” he said.
Many towns in New Jersey are enforcing a strict curfew Thursday night. It applies to anyone under age 18 not accompanied by an adult and varies from town to town.
In New York City, the annual Halloween parade returns to Greenwich Village Thursday night.
“I really believe that the Halloween parade does something for the spiritual life of the city,” said the parade’s artist director Jeanne Fleming.[cbs-audio url=”http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/parade.mp3″ size=”340″ download=”false” name=”Halloween Parade Returns To Greenwich Village” artist=”WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell reports”]
Last year’s parade was canceled because of Sandy. This year, the parade ran into financial trouble and there was talk of canceling it again.
But the organizers put out a plea for online donations and raised enough money. The campaign raised the $50,000 needed to put night creatures back on the streets.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Seen At 11: Loophole Allows Motorists To Drive High In New York State — Legally
- Tri-State Parents On High Alert After Flu Claims Life Of Connecticut Boy
- Bronx Men Arrested In Hit-And-Run Of NYPD Officer In Times Square
- Defense For West Side Terror Suspect Offers Guilty Plea In Exchange For Sparing His Life