14-Year-Old Shows Leg Movement; Alleged Teen Shooter Charged As Adult

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The 16-year-old boy accused of opening fire at the Bryant Park ice skating rink over the weekend has been held without bail.

Corey Dunton was arraigned late Monday night.

The teen is charged as an adult with two counts of attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon in connection with Saturday night’s shooting.

Investigators said Dunton went to Bryant Park looking for trouble, reportedly posting on social media that he was headed to the skating rink with an “amp” — which is slang for a gun, CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown reported.

Police said Dunton opened fire at the park’s ice skating rink around 11 p.m. after he demanded a 20-year-old man, identified as Javier Contreras, give up his $600 Marmot coat.

When the man refused, investigators said Dunton left the skating rink, returned with a gun and fired eight shots into the crowd.

The intended target, Contreras, was shot once in the arm, but not seriously injured.

A 14-year-old bystander, identified as Adonis Mera, was shot in the back and family members said it’s possible he may never walk again, though they did get some good news on Tuesday.

The boy’s mother, Arisleny Martinez, told CBS 2’s Janelle Burrell that her son was moving his legs a little bit and was stable.

Investigators said the gun used in the shooting has not been recovered.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Dunton was with others at the rink and that investigators are trying figure out whether the incident was gang related.

“Still trying to determine that we believe there was as many as six people with him,” Kelly said.

Martinez said she is just relieved that Dunton is behind bars.

“He’s arrested. She says give him the maximum,” she said through a translator.

The violence took place as Bryant Park was preparing for the busy holiday season. Officials were trying to reassure the public that the park is safe, despite the shooting.

“Our hearts go out to the wounded and their families, and to those who were at the park during that time,” park officials said in a Facebook post Sunday. “We are cooperating fully with authorities, who agree that it is safe to reopen.”

Police were also investigating possible security changes at the park.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:

Watch & Listen LIVE