ORLANDO, Fla. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Major League Baseball owners have voted to move ahead with a vast expansion on instant replay next season.
Owners approved funding the replay expansion when they met Thursday and plan to approve the exact rules in January following the completion of negotiations with the unions for umpires and players.
Rob Manfred, MLB’s chief operating officer, said present and former umpires likely would make the decisions on contested calls after reviewing video in New York.
A manager will be given a maximum of two challenges per game and a successful challenge would not count against his limit. If a manager is out of challenges, umpires likely would be able to call for a review on their own.
MLB vice president of operations Joe Torre said on WFAN radio last month that initially he wasn’t “crazy” about the idea of manager challenges.
“But if you think of all the other options, that seems to be a reasonable way to do it,” he said.
Torre also wasn’t too concerned about the possibility of a manager challenging a routine play just to buy some time for his bullpen.
“I guess that’s always possible,” Torre said. “But I think it’s a valuable thing to lose as far as using one of your challenges. I don’t think we plan on giving them a lot of them, if that’s the way we go. I think they’re going to be too valuable to use in that regard. There are other ways that they can be creative in getting some more time.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Astros’ Verlander Owns Yankees, ALCS Pushed To Game 7
- Devils’ 3-Game Win Streak Snapped By San Jose
- Singer Justine Skye Takes A Knee Following National Anthem At Nets’ Home Opener
- Nets Pile On The Points Without Lin In Home Opener Win Over Orlando
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)