NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Newtown, Conn. officials announced Monday that the 911 recordings from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting will be released on Wednesday.
A Connecticut Superior Court judge ruled last week that the tapes from the Dec. 14, 2012 massacre should be released to The Associated Press after a lengthy fight over the records that have been withheld by investigators.
Newtown officials said in the statement Monday that the tapes will be available Wednesday afternoon at an office in Danbury.
The state’s Freedom of Information Commission ruled in September that the recordings should be provided to the AP. State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky III, the lead Newtown investigator, has been appealing the FOI commission’s ruling. He declined to comment Monday.
The AP said it plans to review the content and determine what, if any, of it would meet the news cooperative’s standards for publication.
Sedensky last month released a summary report based on police records of the school shooting that left 20 first graders and six educators dead.
The report noted that gunman Adam Lanza had mental health issues but did not determine a motive for one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history.
Lanza first shot and killed his mother in their home before driving to Sandy Hook Elementary School to carry out the massacre. He killed himself as police closed in.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Harvey Weinstein Appears In Court On Rape, Sex Abuse And Other Charges
- NJ School Bus Driver Charged In Deadly Crash To Face Judge
- Millions Of Americans Expected To Travel For Memorial Day Weekend
- 5/25 CBS2 Friday Morning Weather Headlines
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)