Yankees

David Ortiz Surprised Yankees Didn’t Re-Sign Cano

Ortiz Called Cano 'The Face' Of The Ballclub
(Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

(Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

New York Yankees
Upcoming Games

Buy Yankees Tickets Full Schedule
Monday Apr 6
vs. Blue Jays
Wednesday Apr 8
vs. Blue Jays
Thursday Apr 9
vs. Blue Jays
Yankees Central
Shop for Yankees Gear
Buy Yankees Tickets

MLB Scoreboard
MLB Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

NEW YORK, NY (CBSNewYork) - If Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz had his way, he would not have allowed Robinson Cano, or “the face” of the New York Yankee organization to leave.

Ortiz went on WEEI in Boston and said the Red Sox can only benefit from the Yankees losing their best player and “the face” of their team. He called it “great news for us” that Cano is headed to the West coast.

Ortiz went on to say, “this guy hurt us, he is the guy that, you’re never going to forget about him because he puts up some monster numbers. He puts up some monster numbers. Now let’s see how everything goes with him on the West Coast.”

Cano signed a 10-year $240 million contract with the Seattle Mariners earlier this week.

Ortiz told the radio station he was a little surprised the Yankees didn’t re-sign him, given the fact that is what most of the talented players in the majors are getting these days.

“Young, talented players with the skills that he has, that’s what they’re getting. I couldn’t believe the Yankees let that walk away. He’s the face, as long as he played for the Yankees, he was the face of that ball club. He was backing up everybody.”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories