New Video Shows Suspect In Slain Real Estate Developer’s Kidnapping
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police on Wednesday issued a surveillance video showing a suspect in the kidnapping of Brooklyn real estate developer Menachem “Max” Stark, whose burned body was found last week in a Long Island dumpster.
Meanwhile, the reward being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case was raised to $72,000 Wednesday.
The video taken this past Thursday night showed a suspect exiting a white van and walking to the corner of Broadway and Rutledge Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, near Stark’s office.
Earlier surveillance video taken from a distance showed Stark, 39, being abducted outside his office when two suspects struggled with him and forced him into a light-colored 2006 or 2007 Dodge Caravan.
Stark’s family initially up a $25,000 reward in the case. Family friend Rabbi David Niederman announced Wednesday that the reward had risen to $75,000.
Family members this week would not say if they have a hunch about a motive. However, Assemblyman Joe Lentol, D-Brooklyn, speculated Stark might have been slain over money.
“He had some money that maybe he was carrying and maybe killed because he had money in his pocket,” Lentol said.
The family begged for people to come forward with tips for police to solve the mystery as to who killed Stark.
Stark’s family has also defended him after a New York Post cover story about the slaying called Stark a “slumlord” and included the headline “Who didn’t want him dead?”
“Children do not have a father. A wife doesn’t have a husband,” said Rabbi David Niederman, a family friend. “Why? What did he do?”
Stark was a wealthy real estate developer and a father of seven.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: