Metro-North Derailment Report Reaches No Conclusions Yet
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A preliminary report by federal investigators on last year’s deadly train derailment in the Bronx does not draw any conclusions about what caused the wreck.
The National Transportation Safety Board issued the brief report Tuesday.
It has no major revelations about what happened when the Metro-North commuter train went off the tracks Dec. 1, killing four and injuring dozens.
The report restates previous findings that the train was traveling at 82 mph on a curve that had a 30 mph speed limit. It also repeats that no mechanical problems have been found.
Representatives of the train’s engineer have said he may have lost focus at the controls. The preliminary report doesn’t address that issue.
An NTSB spokesman says new information and a conclusion are probably months away.
The accident has fueled calls for improved technology on trains nationwide to prevent future derailments, and federal inspectors are conducting a safety assessment of Metro-North. The commuter railroad also faces lawsuits filed by victims in the derailment.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Seen At 11: ‘Mansion Minders’ Living The Life Of Luxury Without Paying The Price
- New Safety Measures For Electric Zoo Festival At Randall’s Island
- Long Island Cop Saves Pets From Burning Home
- Daughter: Comedian Joan Rivers’ Condition ‘Remains Serious’
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)