NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Will Antonio Cromartie be a Jet in 2014?
He can’t seem to make up his mind.
On Wednesday, the cornerback said on NBC Sports Network’s “Pro Football Talk” that he thinks he’ll be a cap casualty when it’s all said and done.
“I think I am,” the veteran said. “Just because my cap number is very high. And I had one of the worst seasons of my career this past year. I was banged up. I got hurt in Week 2, but that’s not an excuse.”
The 29-year-old is entering the final year of his contract, and it will cost the Jets a pretty penny to keep him. Cromartie has a $14.98 million cap charge in 2014, and he struggled this past season.
The two-time Pro Bowler played in all 16 games for New York, recording 38 tackles, a forced fumble and three interceptions. With Darrelle Revis no longer leading the Jets’ secondary, Cromartie failed to live up to expectations.
“I just had a bad year,” the Florida State product said on NBCSN. “That falls heavily on me and no one else.”
Late last month, Cromartie said that he’d be open to restructuring his contract in order to be back with the organization in 2014. He also said that his desire is to retire as a Jet, and he stood by that notion on Wednesday.
“This is where I want to be, this is where I want to retire,” Cromartie said.
On Wednesday night, following the interview, the 2007 All-Pro seemed bothered by the back-and-forth exchange from earlier in the day.
According to the New York Post, Cromartie also tweeted the following: “Dear Reports Please STOP making up Stories about me saying anything .. I’ve said several times I don’t even know what’s gonna happen.”
That tweet was later deleted, and according to the newspaper, Cromartie also deleted another tweet in which he accused two reporters of lying.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories