TAMPA, Fla. (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, limited to 17 games last season due to injuries, says he will probably start on-field work Monday.
Jeter, at his Turn 2 Foundation golf classic Wednesday night, said his offseason has been going well and he’s “looking forward to getting out there.”
“I’ve been working hard,” Jeter said. “I started working out at the beginning of November, so it’s been a while.”
The longtime Yankees captain, who turns 40 next June, began last season on the disabled list after breaking his left ankle in the 2012 playoffs. He was on the DL four times, including stints for right quadriceps and right calf injuries, in the most frustrating season of his 19-year career.
Jeter was limited to five spring training games last year and stayed behind when the team broke camp for rehabilitation at New York’s minor league complex in Tampa, Fla. While he was rehabbing, he broke the ankle again.
“I think that’s the only way you can have any sort of success, is to think about one year at a time. I never try to look into the future,” he said. “I’m just looking forward to getting back on the field, starting throwing and hitting and doing all that. That’s my next priority.”
The Yankees and Jeter agreed to a $12 million, one-year contract in November.
Jeter also touched on the Alex Rodriguez suspension saga, calling it “a rough situation.”
“The whole situation is bad,” Jeter said. “The whole thing has been kind of messy.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Giants Come From Behind To Beat Jets, 21-20
- Red-Hot Mets Clobber Phillies, 12-1
- Jets, Giants Fans Ready For Snoopy Bowl
- Flawless Fowler Builds 1-Shot Lead At Barclays
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)