NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The father of a 4-year-old Manhattan boy who died after being tortured and starved has been temporarily released from a New Jersey jail to deal with the tragedy.
The New Jersey attorney general’s office confirmed Thursday that a judge agreed to release Okee Wade until Feb. 6. He’s awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to a racketeering charge expected to result in a five-year prison term.
King, 27, told police she had put the boy on the bathroom counter and left the room briefly. Police said King told them Dobson fell and landed in the empty bathtub in her Midtown apartment.
Prosecutors, however, said King tortured and starved Myls. They said King admitted to burning and beating Myls, as well as leaving him outside in the freezing cold.
King was arrested last week and is charged with first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful imprisonment. She was reportedly indicted Wednesday, but because the indictment will not be unsealed until Feb. 5, it’s unknown what charges the grand jury voted for.
Myls’ mother lost custody of him in 2012.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- CBS2 Exclusive: Man Dubbed ‘Cannibal Cop’ Tells All
- Department Of Buildings, NYPD Launch Probe Into Crane Collapse
- Man Killed In Tribeca Crane Collapse Called ‘Most Special Person Ever’
- Crane Collapse In Tribeca Leaves 1 Dead, 3 Injured
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)