Verizon Wires Up 35 Subway Stations For Wi-Fi Use
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Verizon Wireless customers can now use their cellphones in 35 of New York City’s underground subway stations.
Transit officials said Tuesday that Verizon service is available in the following stations – all of them in Manhattan.
• Fifth Avenue – N and R lines;
• 57th Street – N, R and Q lines;
• 49th Street – N and R lines;
• Times Square-42nd Street – N, R and Q lines;
• 28th Street – R Line;
• 23rd Street – R Line;
• 96th Street – B and C lines; A Line overnight;
• 86th Street – B and C lines; A Line overnight;
• 81st Street — B and C lines; A Line overnight;
• 72nd Street — B and C lines; A Line overnight;
• 59th Street-Columbus Circle – A, B, C and D lines;
• 50th Street — C and E lines; A line overnight;
• 42nd Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal – A, C and E lines;
• 57th Street – F Line;
• 47th-50th streets-Rockefeller Center – B, D, F and M lines;
• Fifth Avenue-53rd Street – E and M lines;
• Seventh Avenue – B, D and E lines;
• 96th Street – 1, 2 and 3 lines;
• 86th Street – 1 Line;
• 79th Street – 1 Line;
• 72nd Street – 1, 2 and 3 lines;
• 66th Street-Lincoln Center – 1 Line
• 59th Street-Columbus Circle – 1 Line
• 50th Street – 1 Line
• Times Square-42nd Street – 1, 2 and 3 lines;
• 28th Street –1 Line;
• 23rd Street – 1 Line;
• 18th Street – 1 Line;
• Times Square-42nd Street – 7 Line
• Times Square-42nd Street – Grand Central Shuttle (S)
• 34th Street-Herald Square – N, R and Q lines;
• 42nd Street-Bryant Park – B, D, F and M lines
• 34th Street-Herald Square – B, D, F and M lines;
• 28th Street – 6 Line
• 5th Avenue-Bryant Park – 7 Line
A deal was announced to wire the subway system last year. The carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and Sprint all signed on, but initially only AT&T and T-Mobile service were initially available.
The program is being paid for by technology company Transit Wireless.
A company spokeswoman said Verizon voice and data services are now available in the 35 stations.
Transit Wireless hopes to make the services available in all underground subway stations by 2017.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- NYPD Officers Turn Backs On Mayor During Funeral For Slain Officer Ramos
- Thousands Attend Funeral For Fallen Officer Rafael Ramos
- Friends, Family, Community Mourn Loss Of NYPD Officer Rafael Ramos
- Donations Continue To Pour In, Mortgages Of Fallen NYPD Cops To Be Paid In Full
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)