Officer Rescues Animals When Fire Breaks Out At N.J. Pet Store
FRANKLIN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A police officer rescued several pets Tuesday when a fire broke out at a pet shop in Franklin, N.J.
Around 9 a.m. Tuesday, Franklin Borough Police responded to a fire at the Pet Center on State Highway 23.
Responding officers Burgos and Korger reported heavy smoke in the pet store. They found there were no people inside, but there were several pets.
Burgos rescued all the pets from the building, and the officers also evacuated nearby businesses and shut down State Highway 23, police said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze. Sussex County Fire Marshal Joseph Inga determined the fire did not appear to be suspicious, and the cause and origin was most likely related to an electrical issue.
The local veterinary hospital took in the pets, police said.
Burgos was hospitalized for smoke inhalation following the fire, police said.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Obama: US To Continue Airstrikes On ISIS Despite Beheading Of American Journalist James Foley
- State Supplying SUNY Campus Cops With Heroin-Overdose Antidote
- ACEing Autism: Non-Profit Group Teaches Autistic Kids To Play Tennis
- Cardinal Timothy Dolan Hosts Meeting With Mayor Bill De Blasio, Religious Leaders To Discuss Eric Garner’s Death