NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Some Marvel superheroes will soon be fighting crime in New York City.
As WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reported, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel and Netflix announced Wednesday that Marvel’s upcoming television series about its “Defenders” characters will be filmed primarily in New York state.
“There was actually pretty fierce competition among several different locations in the world,” said Robert Iger, chief executive officer of Disney, Marvel’s parent company.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo sweetened the deal with $4 million in state tax credits — the largest film or television project commitment in New York history. The governor has made a priority of attracting productions to the state. Last year, 193 productions filmed in New York generated a direct spend of $2.11 billion while putting more than 128,000 actors and crew members to work, according to Cuomo’s office.
“It is an entirely new business line for the state,” Cuomo said.
Disney will spend $200 million filming four Marvel series for Netflix, creating 400 full-time jobs and 3,000 part-time production jobs.
Cuomo joked one of those jobs may be for him.
“Boy from Queens goes to Albany to fight the evil empire and bring justice to the people of the state,” he said.
Filming is set to begin this summer and the first episodes are expected to premiere in 2015.
The project will include nearly 60 one-hour episodes focusing on the four “Defenders” characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, who fight villains in Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan.
“The Defenders are classic New York characters — smart, resourceful and tough enough to always stand up for what’s right,” Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer, said in a news release. “We’re delighted they’re coming to life on their home turf thanks to Governor Cuomo and his team.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories