NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died of acute mixed drug intoxication in what’s been ruled an accident, the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office announced Friday afternoon.
Heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine were all found in his system, according to the ME’s office. Benzodiazepines are found in anti-anxiety medications and amphetamines are classified as uppers.
Hoffman, 46, was found dead with a needle still in his arm in his West Village apartment on Feb. 2. His death had been treated as a suspected drug overdose.
Dozens of bags of heroin and prescription drugs were found near Hoffman’s body.
Investigators are examining a computer and two iPads found at the scene for clues and recovered syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a blood pressure drug and a muscle relaxant, law enforcement officials said.
Hoffman had been frank about struggling with substance abuse. He told CBS’ “60 Minutes” in 2006 that he had he used “anything I could get my hands on” before getting clean at age 22.
But in interviews last year, he said he’d relapsed, had developed a heroin problem and had gone to rehab for a time.
Hundreds of family members and famous friends mourned Hoffman at his funeral earlier this month at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola on the Upper East Side.
Hoffman is survived by his longtime partner Mimi O’Donnell and their three children.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories