WANTAGH, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Thousands of homeowners – many of them on Long Island – were being warned Friday that their boiler has been recalled due to a carbon monoxide danger.
As CBS 2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported, the boilers may need a quick, but important, fix.
In Wantagh, the Sarosy family nearly threw out a notice from U.S. Boiler Company, thinking it was junk mail.
“I started reading – I’m like, ‘Oh, this is important,” said Kim Sarosy.
It was a recall notice for their boiler that was installed when they converted to natural gas four years ago. The notice warned of a carbon monoxide hazard.
“When you read it, it says not to worry,” said Brian Sarosy. “But it’s carbon monoxide.”
“Anytime you hear carbon monoxide — and I have children in the house — it just rings bells,” added Kim Sarosy.
The Sarosys called a heating contractor, and the fix was free.
“It’s nothing to panic about. It’s nothing to get excited about, and it’s real quick, as you saw,” said Jack Lagnassa of Universe Appliance.
But thousands of homeowners may be unaware of the recall, issued by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission back in January. Nearly 30,000 boilers were recalled, many of them on Long Island.
Plumbing Consultant Robert Gramman said thousands of the recalled boilers were installed as part of the KeySpan National Grid incentive program from 2005 to 2013.
The voluntary recall is for several models made by U.S. Boiler — sold as Burnham – as well as New York Boiler and Crown Boiler.
The reason is an air-pressure switch that can fail, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Without the proper orifice installed, the actual byproduct of the gas when it burns can be very dangerous,” said Mike Young of Young Enterprises.
There have been no injuries, and National Grid said consumers are being notified by the manufacturers, but homeowners who used non-licensed installers or never registered may not know.
“There’s no permit, there’s no policing, there’s no inspection for the homeowners’ safety, and that falls through the cracks,” said Robert Gramman of Gramman Heating and Plumbing.
The affected models and serial numbers can be found via the links below to Consumer Product Safety Commission notices.
Homeowners were advised to do like the Sarosys and check model numbers, and to check that their carbon monoxide detectors are working.
U.S. Boiler, which manufactured most of the affected boilers, did not respond to CBS 2’s calls for comment.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Mother, Son, Daughter Arrested In Connection To String Of Suffolk County Knifepoint Robberies
- FDNY: Angry Driver Assaults Fire Dept. Member In Fire Truck After Hell’s Kitchen Crash
- Limits On Deliveries, Crackdown On Blocking Intersections Among Highlights Of De Blasio Traffic Congestion Plan
- Police: Knife-Wielding Man Shot By Officers After Stabbing Self In Hamilton Heights