NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A leaky pipe has led to gas being shut off in the middle of the night at 250 Queens apartments — and it could be months before it is restored.
As 1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reported, New York City Housing Authority workers turned off the gas at the Pomonok Houses early Friday morning, knocking on doors in the middle of night and handing out hot plates to residents.
“We didn’t know anything,” Kim, a building resident, told Shuck. “They shut the gas off. They came after 1 o’clock in the morning and gave us little counter stoves to use, and that was it.
“That’s horrible,” she added. “That means I have to eat out all the time.”
In light of last week’s deadly East Harlem explosion, apparently caused by a gas leak, residents at the Pomonok Houses agree it’s a good thing they were notified, but they don’t like how NYCHA went about it.
Most residents found out about the gas shutdown early on Friday morning when NYCHA staffers knocked on their doors bearing hot plates.
“At like 1:30 in the morning, Housing knocked on our door really loud, and when I opened the door, they gave us a hot plate and said, ‘Your gas is off,'” a woman who lives on the sixth floor told CBS 2’s Steve Langford.
“Sundays, I usually cook my meals for the week, and I can’t do that. It’s disappointment,” she said. “I’d like to know when it’s going to come back on.”
Monica Corbett, President of the Pomonok Houses Association, said that while the shut down is not desirable it is understandable.
“I guess because of the sensitivity of what happened in Harlem they wanted to be on the ball and not have the same outcome of what happened in uptown New York,” Corbett said.
Some residents said they were being told the gas could remain off for two months. There will be a meeting held at the building Wednesday to learn more.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Man Allegedly Assaulted Mother As She Took Pictures Of Daughter In Central Park
- JFK Bound Flight Makes Emergency Landing At London’s Heathrow Airport
- Sales Figures Show More Consumers Making Shift From Retail To Online This Holiday Season
- Smoke, Flames Pour Out Of Upper Floors As Firefighters Battle Belleville Blaze
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)