Mets Prospect Noah Syndergaard To Start Season In Minors
Mets CentralShop for Mets Gear
Buy Mets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Noah Syndergaard’s major league debut will have to wait.
The New York Mets pitching prospect was sent down to minor league camp on Tuesday and is expected to start the season at Triple-A Las Vegas.
“No matter how well I threw during spring training, whether I struck out everybody and didn’t allow any runs whatsoever, I think I still was going to go over to the minor league side regardless,” Syndergaard said, according to the team’s official website. “I know there’s a business standpoint to it and there’s other things I need to work on on the mound.”
The 21-year-old impressed during his time with the club in Port St. Lucie. But the Mets have a plan for the 6-foot-6 right-hander with a “hook from hell,” and they’re sticking to it.
The Mets waited to bring up Matt Harvey until mid-season in 2012 due to financial reasons. They did the same with Zack Wheeler last year. And now Syndergaard will have to wait until the Super 2 arbitration deadline passes.
“The message was, ‘We’ll see you pretty soon,’ basically,” said Syndergaard, who was acquired in the R.A. Dickey trade. “That’s always a good thing to hear.”
Syndergaard had a 5.19 ERA with 10 strikeouts and five walks in four games (8 2/3 innings) this spring. Many Mets fans – including WFAN co-host Craig Carton – held out hope that New York would bring the 240-pound kid known as “Thor” — or “The Viking” — north to start the season.
“There’s a sense of relief just knowing that my repertoire of pitches, my demeanor on the mound, opens eyes up in the big leagues,” Syndergaard said.
Also sent down: pitchers Rafael Montero, Joel Carreno, Ryan Reid and Cory Mazzoni, infielders Brandon Allen and Matt Clark and catcher Juan Centeno.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories