Police: London Man Recants Story Of Being Victim Of Attack In Brooklyn
UPDATED March 28, 12:38 p.m.
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A London man who claimed he was assaulted in a possible “knockout” attack while in Brooklyn for a wedding has since said the attack never happened.
The 65-year-old man recanted his story and said he was never attacked, police told CBS 2.
It was not immediately learned how the man emerged bloody after the alleged attack, as was documented in a published photo.
On Thursday evening, the man released a statement clarifying what happened.
“I was returning from a wedding at about 2 a.m. on Monday night and am convinced that I was attacked from the back and pushed to the floor, face down. However after extensive interrogations by the police, I recognize that there is a possibility that due to the shock of the incident and my injuries I was confused and disorientated and it may be that I tripped in the dark and hurt my face when falling down.”
The man has since returned to the U.K.
He claimed the attackers grabbed him by the head and threw him to the ground, and no property was taken.
New York City Councilman David Greenfield (D-44th) told 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon Tuesday that the assault, as reported, appeared to be a knockout attack.
“He was attacked from behind by two individuals, brutally attacked,” Greenfield said. “They did not take anything from him, and he was in such bad condition that he had to be hospitalized.”
Greenfield spoke out about the incident Thursday night on a radio show, following the recantation, according to a report on Brooklynnews.com.
“While it’s not clear exactly what occurred on Tuesday morning, two things are clear: this individual suffered serious injuries in the incident, and the NYPD fully believes that he has been truthful with them. The victim in no way lied or attempted to mislead the NYPD. I have confirmed that information directly with the supervising officer investigating this case. I have every confidence that the NYPD will continue to diligently investigate this case and trust that they will reach the appropriate conclusion,” according to BNC.
A wave of attacks, where the perpetrator attempts to knock out an unsuspecting stranger with a single blow, began in Crown Heights in October of last year. Police previously beefed up patrols in some of the communities that have seen several incidents.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories