GlaxoSmithKline Recalls Weight-Loss Drug Alli Over Tampering Concerns
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A popular weight loss drug is being recalled over tampering concerns.
The FDA is investigating after some bottles alli were found to be tampered with, drug maker GlaxoSmithKline said.
All weight loss products from U.S. and Puerto Rico retailers are being voluntarily recalled as the company believes that some packages of the product were tampered with and may contain product that is not authentic alli.
Consumers in seven states including New York, Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and Texas have reported suspected tampering.
“Safety is our first priority and we are asking retailers and pharmacies to remove all alli from their shelves immediately,” said Colin Mackenzie, President Consumer Healthcare North America.
Alli is a turquoise pill. The tainted bottles may contain tablets and capsules of different shapes and colors.
More information on what the tampered product may look like:
– The outer carton may look authentic.
– The bottle may contain a range of tablets and capsules of various shapes and colors.
– The bottle may not have a label.
– The bottle’s tamper evident seal may not be intact, not be made of foil and/or not have the authentic alli wording: “Sealed for your Protection.”
– The lot numbers and expiration dates on the bottle do not match the lot number and expiration date on the outer carton.
– To date, some bottles bearing the following lot numbers and expiration dates on the carton have been reported to GSK by consumers as containing product other than alli.
– Carton Lot 14372, Expiration: 02/28/2016
– Carton Lot 14395, Expiration: 02/28/2016
– Carton Lot 14124, Expiration: 09/30/2015
– Carton Lot 14267, Expiration: 01/31/2016
– Carton Lot 14442, Expiration: 04/30/2016
For more information on the recall, visit GSK’s website.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Kean University Mistakenly Sends Out Acceptance Notices To Thousands Of Students
- Family, Friends Bid Final Farewell To Harrison Sisters Killed By Father In Murder-Suicide
- Police: L.I. Man Caught Driving In HOV Lane With Fake Passenger
- Police: Gas Station Attendant Shoots Knife-Wielding Man At Yonkers Citgo Station