LITTLE FALLS, N.J.(CBSNewYork) — A severely neglected dog that was found trapped in a Passaic County Park has a new home.
Dozens of emergency responders came to the rescue of the pop who was named ‘Clover’ by firefighters. On Sunday, 4-year-old Clover met her forever family the DiFalcos of Little Falls.
“She’s a very lucky dog and I’m glad we, you know, can provide her with that second chance. A better place to live,” Paul DiFalco said.
Clover was down on her luck two weeks ago when emergency responders rescued her from a ravine in Garett Mountain Park in Passaic County.
She was badly matted, caked with mud, and dehydrated, CBS 2 Hazel Sanchez reported.
The Animal Clinic of Morris Plains cleaned Clover up and nursed her back to perfect health, but her owners never came forward.
The Second Chance Pet Adoption League was flooded with families who wanted to call the happy puppy their own.
“We had hundreds of applications on Clover. They were overwhelmed by her story and she maybe the most famous dog in New Jersey right now,” Angela Rieck said.
“My heart just broke. And I said ‘this dog has to come home with us,'” Cheryl DiFalco said.
Paul DiFalco, a Paterson firefighter, was happy to give Clover a big house of her own and a miniature schnauzer brother named Ashes who seems to like his sister already.
Many of Second Chance’s dogs have heartbreaking stories and the league hopes that Clover’s story will inspire others to give more dogs a new home.
Not only did Clover get a second chance at life, she also got a new name.
“Being our first dog is ‘ashes’ and we just thought it’d be the perfect fit. It’s the Lenten season and she looks like a little Easter bunny, and we’re naming her Easter,” DiFalco said.
Easter was also named for the DiFalco’s hometown and the fire department that helped save her. Her middle name is Paterson.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Seen At 11: Getting What You Want Is All About How You Ask
- Yorktown Residents May Record, Anonymously Report Litterbugs With First-Of-Its-Kind Law
- SUV Slams Into Queens Home, Coming Dangerously Close To Man Sleeping Inside
- CBS2 Exclusive: ‘I’m Still In Shock’ — Parents Return To Site Of Deadly Radiator Accident