BRONXVILLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A Bronxville man is suing a local hospital and his surgeon for performing an appendectomy but apparently forgetting to remove his appendix.
As WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reported, the medical mystery is heading to court.
William McCormack, 43, was doubled over with abdominal pain while on vacation in Lake Placid last month. He went to the hospital and had surgery. He was told after the fact that he had an appendectomy.
But McCormack thought his appendix had been removed in January, 2013 at Lawrence Hospital Center by Dr. Michael Kerin.
“Dr. Kerin, as a surgeon, he should’ve known what an appendix looks like,” said McCormack’s attorney Mitchell Baker.
McCormack is suing the hospital and Dr. Kerin for unspecified damages.
“We have an operative report from Lawrence Hospital saying that the appendix was removed,” Baker told Adams. “Most importantly, we have the pathology report from Lawrence Hospital after the first operation which says what was presented to the pathology department was not the appendix.”
So then, what was it?
“It said it was a three centimeter yellowish mass,” Baker said.
McCormack says no one ever told him about the yellowish mass or that his appendix was not removed, CBS 2’s Lou Young reported.
“The main question I have is did anyone read the pathology report or did they ignore it?” Baker said. “Don’t let him walk around for 14 months thinking he didn’t have an appendix when he does have an appendix that could burst at any moment.”
McCormack said he wasn’t read yet to talk on camera about the medical mistake that could have killed him, CBS 2 reported. He said he’s doing fine and wants to make sure the same thing doesn’t happen to anyone else.
So far, no comment from the hospital or the surgeon.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Cuomo Says Silver Conviction Sends Loud, Clear Message: ‘You Will Get Caught’
- Woman Charged With Making Bogus Threats Against Black Students At Kean University
- Chicago Mayor Fires Police Chief In Wake Of Shooting Video Release
- Bronx Salon Agrees To Pay $165K To Employee Fired After Warning Coworkers Of Health Hazards