Another Security Mishap At World Trade Center Site
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The hits just keep coming for security personnel assigned to keep watch at the World Trade Center site.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told 1010 WINS that a man, who had an interview for a construction job on the site, managed to walk past a security guard who had opened the gate to let a truck into the site.
The man didn’t get very far though. He was stopped about 100 feet later by a second guard and never reached 1 World Trade Center.
The Port Authority acknowledged that the guard was “inattentive” and said the guard has since been transferred off the site.
The guard that was transferred is employed by Summit Security Services, 1010 WINS reported.
This latest incident comes amid a series of recent security lapses at 1 World Trade Center.
Last week an additional charge was added by prosecutors to the case against a New Jersey teenager who climbed to the top of 1 World Trade Center in March.
Authorities said Justin Casquejo was dressed like a construction worker when he squeezed through a hole in a fence at about 4 a.m. on March 16.
The teen was only caught and questioned after spending more than an hour at the top of the building, according to authorities.
Casquejo will be assessed in a program for youthful offenders. The program will evaluate him for jail alternative programs.
Last month, four skydivers were charged in connection with a BASE jump off the building on Sept. 30.
Police said the four squeezed through a hole in a fence and climbed 104 flights of stairs before leaping from the tower. Surveillance video captured the men landing in front of the Goldman Sachs building.
Two CNN employees were also arrested last month for allegedly trying to sneak into the site.
Security guards have also been caught sleeping on the job and a surveillance system purchased in August reportedly has yet to be installed.
The building’s head of security resigned late last month, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, said it’s reassessing security.
Sen. Charles Schumer has called on the Department of Homeland Security to survey the entire site, which is considered one of the world’s top terror targets, and conduct a full assessment of potential pitfalls and flaws.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: