Schwei’s Mets Notes: Rocky Mountain Low, An April To Remember & More
Mets CentralShop for Mets Gear
Buy Mets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
By John Schweibacher
» More Columns
The New York Mets beat the Colorado Rockies 5-1 on Sunday to salvage the finale of their four-game series at Coors Field.
After allowing 28 runs in the first three games of the set, Mets pitchers combined to allow just one run in the win, a solo homer by Justin Morneau in the ninth inning.
It was just the fifth time in club history that the Mets held the Rockies to one run or less in a game at Coors Field:
· 5/4/14 Mets 5 Rockies 1 (Gee, Torres, Rice & Familia)
· 4/15/10 Mets 5 Rockies 0 (Pelfrey, Feliciano & Rodriguez)
· 6/22/08 Mets 3 Rockies 1 (Pelfrey, Smith, Sanchez & Wagner)
· 5/5/97 Mets 6 Rockies 1 (Jones, McMichael & Kashiwada)
· 7/21/95 Mets 12 Rockies 1 (Harnisch & Dipoto)
Pinch-hitter Charlie Culberson hit a two-run homer in the ninth inning off Kyle Farnsworth as the Rockies rallied to beat the Mets 11-10 Saturday night in Denver.
It was the eighth time in club history the Mets lost to the Rockies in the bottom of the ninth or in extra innings at Coors Field, including the first two regular season games ever played there in 1995:
· 4/26/95 Mets 9 Rockies 11 Dante Bichette three-run HR in 14th
· 4/27/95 Mets 7 Rockies 8 Walt Weiss RBI single in ninth
· 7/23/96 Mets 10 Rockies 11 Eric Young RBI single in ninth
· 7/24/96 Mets 6 Rockies 7 Vinny Castilla RBI single in 10th
· 5/23/08 Mets 5 Rockies 6 Matt Holliday RBI single in 13th
· 4/14/10 Mets 5 Rockies 6 Chris Iannetta solo HR in 10th
· 4/16/13 Mets 8 Rockies 9 Jordan Pacheco RBI single in 10th
· 5/3/14 Mets 10 Rockies 11 Charlie Culberson two-run HR in ninth
Juan Nicasio was the star on the mound and at the plate as the Rockies beat the Mets 7-4 in the opener of their four-game series last Thursday. Nicasio pitched seven innings and did not allow a run in the win and also knocked in three of Colorado’s seven runs with a two-run single and a sacrifice fly.
According to the Game Finder on baseball-reference.com, it was just the sixth time in Mets history that the opposing starting pitcher went at least six innings without allowing an earned run and drove in at least three runs, without hitting a home run:
· 5/1/14 Juan Nicasio 7 IP (two-RBI single, sac fly)
· 9/14/04 Cory Lidle 9 IP (three-RBI double)
· 5/5/02 Roy Oswalt 7 IP (three-RBI single)
· 7/13/94 Andy Benes 9 IP (three-RBI double)
· 9/18/77 Rick Reuschel 6 IP (two-RBI double, RBI triple)
· 5/23/69 Tom Griffin 9 IP (two-RBI single, sac fly)
The Mets defeated the Phillies 6-1 last Tuesday night in Philadelphia, beating Cole Hamels who allowed six earned runs on eight hits and five walks over 4 2/3 innings in falling to 7-14 lifetime against the Mets.
Hamels’ 14 losses against the Mets are tied for the seventh-most by any opposing pitcher in history:
· Steve Carlton 36
· Rick Reuschel 25
· Jerry Reuss 21
· Greg Maddux 19
· Nelson Briles 16
· Livan Hernandez 16
· Ferguson Jenkins 15
· Bob Knepper 15
· John Smoltz 15
· Phil Niekro 14
· Bob Gibson 14
· Burt Hooton 14
· Cole Hamels 14
The Mets finished the month of April with a record of 15-11. The 15 wins were the Mets most by April 30 since 2007 and one shy of the club’s most as the calendar turned to May:
· 16 2000
· 16 2002
· 16 2006
· 15 1988
· 15 2007
· 15 2014
Schwei’s Runs, Hits and Errors:
Runs: Grabbing the Lead. The Mets have led at some point in 26 of their 30 games played so far in 2014.
Hits: Dillon Gee. Mets avoided a sweep in Colorado as Gee pitched six scoreless innings to earn the victory Sunday. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Gee is now 7-2 with a 2.61 ERA in ten career starts in games in which the Mets were in danger of being swept in a series.
Errors: Rocky Mountain Low. By losing three of four to the Rockies in Colorado, the Mets are now 30-46 (.395) all-time at Coors Field. The only road ballparks in club history where the Mets have fared worse in at least 75 regular season games played are Turner Field (.354) and the Astrodome (.386).
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories