Milleridge Inn Restaurant Closes After Kitchen Fire
JERICHO, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The restaurant at the historic Milleridge Inn in Jericho, Long Island, is closed after a late-night fire Tuesday destroyed the kitchen.
As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, the fire is not considered suspicious.
Manager Bruce Davis said Wednesday the blaze was likely started by a pan left on the stove. The restaurant hopes to reopen in a few days.
“Everything was directed into the kitchen, so nothing of our 1672-built house fell down,” Davis said. “All our banquet rooms are all intact.”
Customers, however, were disappointed Tuesday.
“We’ve been going here for years and years,” one woman said. “Excellent place. Unfortunately, sometimes things happen.”
The Milleridge Inn was built in 1672 and served as a wayside inn for the Underground Railroad during the Abolitionist period in the 1800s. Today, it consists of a 1,000-seat restaurant and the Shops at Milleridge Village.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- NYC Stirs Back To Life After Blizzard Warning, Travel Ban Lifted
- National Weather Service Meteorologist Apologizes For Blizzard Of 2015 Forecast
- Residents Blast Mayor For Slow Snow Plowing As De Blasio Defends Travel Ban
- CBS2’s Lonnie Quinn Delivers Blizzard ‘Top 10′ List On Late Show With David Letterman