NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A high school in Harlem was evacuated early Friday after a chemical spilled in the hallway, officials told CBS 2.
Nitric acid was spilled in the first floor hallway of the Bread and Roses High School, located within the Percy Sutton Educational Complex at Edgecombe Avenue & West 136th Street, the Department of Education said.
The incident took place shortly before 9 a.m. as a teacher was attempting to dispose of the substance.
The school’s fire safety officer suffered burns to his legs and was taken to the Weill Cornell Burn Center, the Fire Department said.
Hazardous materials units with the FDNY neutralized the acid and cleaned it up, CBS 2’s John Slattery reported.
No students were injured, and they have since returned to class.
A floor tile was damaged and will have to be replaced, the DOE said.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Tensions High From The Start As Clinton, Sanders Slug It Out In Democratic Debate
- Jury Delivers Guilty Verdict In Trial Of Rookie NYPD Officer Who Fatally Shot Akai Gurley
- Borough President Adams Calls For Vigilance As NYPD Releases New Footage In Crown Heights Stabbing
- NY Man Arrested After Waving Gun-Like Object Behind Live Television Reporter