Five Hospitalized After Generator Leaks Carbon Monoxide Into Long Island Home
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Police say five people are hospitalized after being sickened by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator in a Long Island home.
A neighbor told WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall that residents were found on the floor, not moving, after being overcome by carbon monoxide.
“I believe they left a generator down on the basement, they went to sleep and forgot to turn it off and everybody got sick,” he said.
Suffolk County police say one of the residents is in critical, but stable, condition and the others are in serious condition Saturday. But police say the five adults all are expected to survive.
They were rescued from the Bay Shore home around 11:30 p.m. Friday.
Someone had called 911 to report a strange smell and trouble breathing.
Police say the residents were using a generator because the home didn’t have electricity. It’s not immediately clear whether the power had been shut off or had failed in an outage.
Two officers also were taken to a hospital for treatment. They have been released.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Expert: Breaking Up By ‘Ghosting’ And Vanishing Is ‘Coward’s Way Out’
- Police: Man Believed To Be Behind Several Bias Attacks In North Brunswick
- Cuomo Increases Fourth Of July Security, Says NY Is ‘Top Target For Terrorists’
- Wounded L.I. Veteran Commemorates Harrowing Anniversary On July 4, Plows Ahead