Cops Charge Suspect In Bronx Bodega Death With Assault
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The suspect in a Bronx bodega attack that left a tourist dead early Friday has been charged with assault after turning himself in to police, authorites said.
The 37-year-old victim, Oliver D’orio, was found unconscious outside Guerrero Deli on Washington Avenue in the Bronx just after midnight Friday. He suffered head trauma, police said.
The victim was an Italian citizen who lived in Switzerland, police said. He had been in the United States for 10 days, staying with his girlfriend, sources told CBS 2.
Witnesses said the victim was drunk and belligerent and acting out inside the bodega when someone inside slapped him, sources told CBS 2. The victim fell back and hit his head, sources said.
The man was rushed to St. Barnabas and declared dead on arrival.
On Sunday, the suspect, Brownie Lopez, 19, of the Bronx surrendered to police and was questioned for hours at the 48th precinct station. He was later charged with assault, a misdemeanor.
The incident was caught on surveillance video.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Storms, High Winds Cut Power To 13,000 Customers On Long Island
- Cuomo, Astorino Face Off In Buffalo Debate
- Ottawa Shootings Leave Soldier, Gunman Dead
- Foley Switches To Positive Ads In Home Stretch Of Connecticut Gubernatorial Race
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)