Ghana Chaos: Muntari, Boateng Thrown Off World Cup Squad
BRASILIA, Brazil (CBSNewYork/AP) — Ghana has thrown Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng off its World Cup squad for disciplinary reasons, plunging the team into further chaos ahead of the decisive group match against Portugal on Thursday.
The Ghana Football Association released two separate statements early Thursday, one saying that Muntari had been suspended for an “unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA” on Tuesday.
The other statement said Boateng has also been suspended for aiming “vulgar verbal insults … at coach Kwesi Appiah” during a training session this week.
“Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision,” the GFA said in the statement.
Muntari is in tears in the Ghana hotel—
Michael Oti Adjei (@OtiAdjei) June 26, 2014
Ghana players have been unhappy this week that they have been denied World Cup bonus payments by the country’s football federation.
“We are not going to say we are not going to play because of the money,” midfielder Christian Atsu said as Ghana President John Dramani Mahama flew millions in cash to the disgruntled team. “We love our nation and we are going to play for our nation.”
Ghana must beat Portugal in Brasilia on Thursday to stand any chance of reaching the second round. The winner could advance if the U.S. loses to Germany.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)