In what is perhaps the most anticipated game for the USA thus far in the 2014 World Cup, Belgium is the only thing standing between Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad and a quarterfinal spot. Tuesday’s winner will play the winner of the Argentina-Switzerland match on July 5.
Soccer fever is alive and running rampant throughout the U.S. now more than ever. Some places are even calling for the boycotting of Belgian Waffles ahead of Tuesday’s match. Here are five things you need to know before the good old U S of A takes the pitch:.
5. Jozy Can Play
Guess who’s back, back again? JozyAltidore is available to play and should take some of the pressure of Clint Dempsey if he can stay healthy.
4. This is Belgium’s First World Cup Appearance Since 2002
The Belgians have not played in a World Cup since getting ousted by France, 2-1 in South Korea/Japan. They finished first in their group and may prove to be quite the challenge.
3. Klinsmann Told Players To Make Arrangements For World Cup Final
In a complete 180 from what he said before the tournament began, Klinsmann reportedly told players to change flights until after the World Cup final. Before going to Brazil, Klinsmann told the media that the U.S. didn’t have a shot at winning the title. Now, after getting through the “Group of Death,” Klinsmann has changed his tune.
2. Belgium is ranked slightly higher than the U.S.
Belgium is ranked 11th according to the FIFA world rankings while the U.S. is 13th. The U.S. has already faced the Nos. 4, 2 and 37th ranked teams in the tournament, while Belgium has already played No. 19 and 22. #IBelieveThatWeWillWin
1. The U.S. and Belgium Have Played Before
The U.S. and Belgium played in the first ever World Cup in 1930 and the U.S. won 3-0. Last year, the U.S. wasn’t so lucky and lost in a friendly 4-2 on May 29. #wewintheonesthatcount
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Smyly Stops 11-Start Winless Streak, Rays Top Yankees 6-3
- Play Suspended Saturday At PGA Championship Due To Heavy Rain
- Lampard’s Hat Trick Leads NYCFC Over Rapids 5-1
- Judge Refuses To Dismiss Gang-Rape Lawsuit Against Derrick Rose