DETROIT (CBSNewYork/AP) — Graco Children’s Products is recalling 1.9 million infant car seats, agreeing to government demands in what is now the largest seat recall in American history.
Click here for more on the recall
The recall came after a five-month spat between Graco and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Earlier this year the company recalled 4.2 million toddler seats for a harness buckle problem. But it resisted the agency’s demand to recall the infant seats.
Buckles can get gummed up by food and drinks, making it difficult to remove children. In some cases parents had to cut harnesses to get their kids out. The agency says that increases the risk of injuries in emergencies.
Graco argued that infant seats are used differently, and in an emergency, an adult can remove the whole seat rather than using the buckle.
2. Check your model name and date against affected models list below.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- LI Man Dies After Vehicle Plunges Into Connecticut River, Authorities Say
- Actor Bill Paxton Dead At 61 From Complications To Surgery, Rep Says
- NYPD Honors Ed Byrne, Officer Killed In Line Of Duty 29 Years Ago
- Mother, Infant Dead In Fire At Mount Vernon Home
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)