NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Three people suffered minor injuries after an electrical explosion at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, the Fire Department said.
The “transformer incident” took place at around 11:30 a.m. on the pier next to the Intrepid.
Two of the injured suffered burns to their arms. They were taken to Weill Cornell Medical Center.
A third person was being evaluated at the scene.
Con Edison says the incident involved electrical equipment that belongs to the Intrepid.
“While doing repairs to an outside power supply at the end of the pier, two employees, and one volunteer who was nearby, received minor injuries today,” said Intrepid spokesman Luke Sacks. “One of the employees and the volunteer are being taken to the hospital for evaluation as a precaution.”
“The museum was already closed due to the power outage that the employees were working to fix. It will remain closed for the rest of the day.”
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Man, Woman Struck, Seriously Injured By Empty Van In Astoria, Queens
- Cadillac Stolen From Staten Island Teen Has A Lot Of Sentimental Value, Family Says
- ‘Sparks Cheerleaders’ Gives Special Needs Kids A Chance To Showcase Their Spirit
- American Muslims Fear Backlash Over Eid Al-Adha, 9/11 Anniversary Coincidence