NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City’s oldest bowling alley has closed after 76 years.
Bowlmor Lanes in Greenwich Village closed Monday after the owner was not offered a new lease.
“The entire company is filled with tremendous sadness as our original location is shutting its doors,” Colie Edison, vice president of marketing, told 1010 WINS. “It’s really been a historic, iconic location in Greenwich Village.”
Edison said the space on University Place will become luxury condos.
“It’s extremely disappointing, if it was up to us we would keep Bowlmor Lanes there forever,” Edison said. “The landlord is choosing to tear down everything on the block and turn it into luxury high-rises. I’m not sure Manhattan or even Greenwich Village needs more luxury high-rises.”
A spokeswoman said Tuesday that the landlord, William Macklowe Co., had no comment.
The bowling alley has hosted generations of children’s birthday parties and notables including Lily Tomlin, Sarah Jessica Parker and former President Richard Nixon have bowled at Bowlmor Lanes.
Owner Tom Shannon bought the bowling alley in 1997 and now owns an empire of more than 270 bowling establishments. Bowlmor has two other locations in New York City — one in Times Square and the other at Chelsea Piers.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:
- Tips: How To Make Memorial Day Travel Easier This Weekend
- De Blasio Administration Drops Thousands Of Pages Of Previously Secret Emails
- Inside Look Into New Jersey Statehouse’s $283 Million Renovation Project
- Fleet Week: Marines Hit The Streets Of New York City For The First Time
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)