Knicks

Report: Melo Mum, Jackson Says He Hasn’t Heard A Word

Knicks President Still Confident Anthony Will Return, But Has Contingency Plans
Carmelo Anthony plays against the Milwaukee Bucks on Feb. 3, 2014. (Photo by Gary Dineen/NBAE via Getty Images)

Carmelo Anthony plays against the Milwaukee Bucks on Feb. 3, 2014. (Photo by Gary Dineen/NBAE via Getty Images)

New York Knicks
Upcoming Games

Buy Knicks Tickets Full Schedule
Saturday Dec 20
vs. Suns
Thursday Dec 25
vs. Wizards
Friday Jan 2
vs. Pistons
Knicks Central
Shop for Knicks Gear
Buy Knicks Tickets

NBA Scoreboard
NBA Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — For whatever reason, the wait continues.

Carmelo Anthony is expected to announce that he’s re-signing with the Knicks after flirting with several teams in free agency, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News. However, he has sure taken his sweet time getting around to it. Team president Phil Jackson said Thursday he had not heard anything from the seven-time All-Star and former scoring champion.

“I expected (a text Wednesday) and the day before yesterday. We’re waiting,” Jackson said. “I felt really good about my conversation with Carmelo (last Thursday in Los Angeles). We really struck a chord. The two of us feel really passionately about what we’re trying to get accomplished. It’s his ability to stay, be patient, lead and watch us develop a winner. There’s no instantaneous winner that we think is going to happen to the Knicks right now, but we’re going to be a lot better.”

A source initially told the Daily News that the 30-year-old forward would “have something for everybody on Thursday” unless he had a last-second change of heart, adding “He is really torn because this is the biggest decision of his career. But he wants to get it done in New York. He told me he believes in Phil.”

Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, was quick to throw cold water on the report, telling several media outlets that no decision has been made.

But the Daily News’ account was bolstered by the rival New York Post, who reported the Knicks “are making plans for Anthony’s second homecoming and are confident they will hear officially on Thursday.”

As of the 11 p.m. hour Thursday, no announcement had been issued.

In the event that Anthony does shock everyone and not return to the Knicks, Jackson said Thursday he has contingencies in place to make the team competitive in 2014-15.

“We have alternative plans. Plan B, C, D, E and F. But so far we’re still on Plan A. That’s the first kind of kingpin we have to have in this whole situation,” Jackson said.

Anthony received a five-year, $129 million max offer from the Knicks after last week’s visits to Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles.

Jackson has been working to revamp New York’s roster after a disappointing 2013-14 season. Veteran point guard Jose Calderon was acquired late last month in the trade that sent Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas.

His next move is expected to be a play for free-agent center Pau Gasol. Jackson, with an eye on more cap space, is also reportedly trying to move the contracts of Amar’e Stoudemire and Andrea Bargnani.

New York traded for Anthony in a Feb. 2011 blockbuster with Denver. The seven-time All-Star won the scoring championship in 2013 and has missed the playoffs only once in his 11-year career — last season.

Anthony, the hottest player on the market not named LeBron James, averaged 27.4 points and 8.1 rebounds in 2013-14.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories