Shia LaBeouf’s Lawyers Working To Resolve NYC Arrest At ‘Cabaret’ Performance
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf’s disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month.
Prosecutors and LaBeouf’s lawyer told a judge Thursday that they’re exploring an agreement to resolve the case.
LaBeouf was charged with criminal trespassing and two counts of disorderly conduct.
He was escorted out of Studio 54, at 254 W. 54th St., in handcuffs while “Cabaret” was playing on June 26, sources said.
Two theatergoers told CBS 2 they saw LaBeouf in a ripped shirt a block away from the theater while they were walking to the show. They said LaBeouf was chasing after a man who appeared to be homeless.
The witnesses said they also saw LaBeouf stumbling inside the theater, in the bar, and feeding a woman a strawberry from her own plate.
“Honestly, I wasn’t thinking of drunk or drugs. I was thinking he was working on a role, because it was that extreme,” said witness Tina Marie Miller. “If we didn’t know who he was, we’d assume he was a bum, literally, from how he looked and how he was acting.”
Police told 1010 WINS and CBS 2 that LaBeouf was also smoking inside the theater and refused to stop.
Composer Benj Pasek issued a tweet on the night of the incident which read in part, “Just saw Shia LaBeouf in handcuffs in tears surrounded by 6 police officers outside of CABARET the musical.”
A press agent for the show only told CBS 2 that LaBeouf was “disruptive during act one and escorted out of Studio 54 at intermission.”
On July 2, a publicist told The Associated Press Shia LaBeouf was being treated for alcoholism.
LaBeouf, who showed up dressed in a suit, and his lawyer, G. Robert Gage, declined to comment Thursday as they left court amid a swarm of cameras and microphones, The Associated Press reported.
He is due back in court Sept. 10.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- Jets Flight Crew Searches For A Few Good Cheerleaders
- Pulaski Skyway Closes For First Of 8 Weekends
- Search Continues For 2 Missing Men In Rubble From East Village Explosion
- Red Cross Reception Centers Offer Help To East Village Explosion Victims
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)