Bronx Historian Gives Virtual Tour Of Borough’s Gems
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — With the warmer weather here, it’s a great time to explore New York City. But one place that not everyone thinks of when planning a staycation is the Bronx.
In an interview with CBS 2’s Diane Macedo, Lloyd Ultan, the Bronx’s official historian, provided a virtual tour of the borough.
Some of the gems mentioned by Ultan, who is collaborating on a yet-to-be released book called “The Bronx: Guide To New York City’s Beautiful Borough,” include:
• Wave Hill, a 28-acre estate in the northwest corner of the Bronx that has two mansions on it that are open to the public
• The Van Cortlandt House, the oldest building in the Bronx that offers guided tours
• The Bronx County Courthouse on 161st Street and the Grand Concourse, which “is replete with sculpture on the outside done by some of the major sculptors of the day,” Ultan said
• Woodlawn Cemetery, where stars such as Irving Berlin, George M. Cohan, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis and Lionel Hampton are buried.
For the full interview, watch the video above.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Organizers Blame Sandy Storm Damage For Canceled Seaside Heights Fireworks Show
- U.S. Gets Its Revenge, Blitzes Japan For Record Third Women’s World Cup Title
- Astoria Residents React After Greece Votes ‘No’ To Europe’s Bailout Offer
- Ex-Boyfriend Arrested In Murder Of 22-Year-Old Mother Found Stabbed To Death In Bronx Park