NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City has dropped its appeal of rulings in stop-and-frisk cases. The move is aimed at speeding reforms it has agreed to in a settlement.
The city’s Law Department filed papers Wednesday with the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
The goal is to end years of litigation over the city’s controversial anti-crime tactic. Those who brought the lawsuits did not oppose the action.
The city reached a deal earlier this year with plaintiffs in the lawsuits.
A judge last year concluded that the city sometimes discriminates against minorities with its stop-and-frisk program. Various police unions tried to intervene to overturn the findings of discrimination, but a lower-court judge last week rejected the request.
A lawyer for the Sergeants Benevolent Association did not immediately respond to a message for comment.
Stop-and-frisk has been around for decades, but recorded stops increased dramatically under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, reaching an all-time high in 2011. Only about 10 percent of the stops resulted in arrests or summonses, and weapons are found about 2 percent of the time.
Mayor Bill de Blasio, who took office Jan. 1, campaigned on reforms to the controversial program. He has repeatedly said he is seeking to restore trust between communities and police officers.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Nor’Easter Causing Mass Transit Delays, Suspensions Across Tri-State Area
- Nor’Easter Downs Trees, Power Lines Around Tri-State Area
- Press Secretary Spicer Says White House Intends ‘Never To Lie To You’
- Stamford Officials Acknowledge Rise In Accidents Despite Safety Improvements
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)