NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — It’s happened again and it could get worse.
According to published reports, bedbugs have transferred to a new subway line in New York City.
A transit union official told the Daily News that a No. 5 train was taken out of service Friday after a rider saw a bedbug fall off a homeless man.
As WCBS 880’s Jim Smith reported, the MTA says it can’t inspect all 5.5 million daily riders, but it does investigate sightings and exterminates.
Some riders are questioning their mode of transportation.
“Maybe I won’t sit,” one rider said.
“I personally I guess haven’t had any incidents happen to me but yeah, it’s creepy and kind of disgusting,” Thea, from Queens, said.
But others say things of this nature are bound to happen on such a large system.
Earlier this week, the Metropolitan Transit Authority confirmed that three separate N trains were taken out of service after bedbugs were found on board.
All three have since been fumigated.
The critters were found in the seat cushions of the train cabs, where motormen and conductors sit.
Two of the trains were taken out of service on Sunday. The third was discovered Tuesday.
Spokesman Adam Lisberg said the MTA can’t check riders for bedbugs before letting them on trains.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Presidential Debate At Hofstra University: Lane Closures, Traffic Advisories
- Search Continues For Suspects In Subway Attack At 59th Street-Columbus Circle Station
- Debate Night: All Eyes On Hofstra As Clinton, Trump Set For High-Stakes Showdown
- Man Plays Joke On New York With Fake Staten Island Ferry Octopus Attack Story
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)