NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Get a taste of the islands with authentic dishes you can whip up in your own kitchen.
Fallon Seymour, owner of Pearl’s restaurant in Brooklyn, joined CBS2 with some dishes from her native Trinidad.
Click on the video player above for more.
The bake and shark recipe is pasted below.
For the Shark:
1 LB Shark Filet, cut into medium size pieces
1 Bunch, Chadon Beni
1 Medium Onion, cut into small pieces
1 Bunch Thyme
¼ Cup water
½ TS Salt
½ TS Black Pepper
1. In a blender, combine chadon beni, onion, thyme, water, salt and pepper and blend until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
2. Pour into a container and add the shark fillet into the mixture and marinate the shark in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. After the shark has been marinated for at least an hour, remove from shark from the refrigerator and marinate and shake excess liquid off of the meat.
4. Lightly coat each piece of shark fillet in flour
5. In a frying pan, heat canola oil and when oil is hot, fry each piece of shark for approximately 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Bake:
1 LB Flour
¼ TS Butter
1 TB Baking Power
½ TS Yeast
¼ Cup Water
1. Mix the flour, butter baking powder and yeast together—slowing adding in the water.
2. Knead the mixture to a bread consistency
3. Let rest at room temperature for ½ hour
4. Break apart the mixture into 6-inch balls.
5. Roll out each ball using a rolling pin until the dough is about ¼ inch thick
6. Fry each one at for about 45 seconds on each side in the frying pan.
7. Once done, let each bake dry on a drying rack.
To Make the Bake & Shark:
1. Cut an opening into the top of the bake and stuff with several pieces of fried shark
2. Add mango slaw on top of the shark to taste (see below)
Mango Slaw Recipe
1 green mango (not ripe)
4 leaves shadow beni
1 ts lime juice
½ ts salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Using a julienne peeler, julienne the green mango
2. Chop up the chandon beni and add to the julienned mango. Also add salt, lime, black pepper
3. Toss together with the julienned mango and reserve for topping the Bake & Shark Sandwich