Millennials Turning To Etiquette Classes To Brush Up On Their Social Skills

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Millennials have grown up in the digital age and most are social media savvy, but when it comes to real socializing it’s a different story.

CBS2’s Meg Oliver found some are turning to etiquette classes to brush up on their social skills.

Real “face time” can be a foreign concept for millennials, according to Myka Meier, the founder of Beaumont Etiquette, a company helping millennials polish their manners.

“I think overall the millennial generation is lacking in social skills because they’re so used to computers and communicating via text and apps,” Meier said. “We want to put away our phones and go back to that face time.”

Etiquette classes are now in high demand.

One that was held at the luxurious Plaza Hotel in New York City sold out within hours. It focused on dating.

“There’s nothing more impressive than somebody that can eat correctly with their knife and fork,” Meier told the class.

To avoid embarrassment, she said your cutlery should be held so the prongs of the fork always stay down. To take a break, place your silverware down in a “V” on your plate. When you’re done eating, put the prongs up at the four o’clock position on your plate.

When you’re on a date Meier says it’s all about the little things from body language and eye contact, to the proper way to hold a wine glass.

“This is something people do wrong, especially if it’s red wine. so we always say, you hold it at the stem,” Meier said.

As for who pays, this is not your grandmother’s etiquette class. Meier said according to modern rules, it’s gender neutral.

“Which means the person who invites the other person out is the person who should pay,” she explained.

Nureen Okarter paid $75 for the two-hour course.

“I think that sometimes the etiquette of normal interaction, face-to-face, gets lost,” Okarter said.

Meier is hoping to bring that back one etiquette class at a time.

Comments

1. Save your money on the etiquette classes and just point your phone down. Your phone, ironically, is the reason you have no social skills.

2. Carter Gwynn says:

Step one: stop the lip smacking. Close you mouth and keep it closed.

3. I reckon Millennials observe with disgust the older GenXers and know they need to do something quick. Of course, nasty GenX feminists will bark out filthy orders during class while their pathetically weak male counterparts play video games and watch other grown GenX men wearing pink on the ball fields. Better get us older folk teaching these classes before we die off.

4. Etiquette rule #1: Focus on the one you’re with. Listening begins with a genuine interest in the other person and a desire to get to know them. If your companion believes that you are sincerely interested in them, they will loosen up, express themselves freely and honestly. Perhaps they will even look past the gravy stain on your cuff or the fork pointed in the wrong direction!

5. herdofpugs says:

Millennials could use a course on manners. Manners once allowed us to disagree without bloodshed.

6. Zardoz Wiz says:

LOL and LMAO to all them snowflakes, stay ignorant goes with the look

7. Diane Diehl says:

Mother taught in 1950’s and I began in the 1980’s – in the past to fill classes was a challenge but today a waiting list. In the end one word is “respect” for that is the undercurrent for all social skills and manners. I remember trying to instruct US company CEO on international business etiquette in 1980’s especially in California as the Pacific Rim was opening – and they refused to follow my instruction on example, proper presentation of business cards to a Japanese client – we still are very far from being even aware of the importance – as I teach adults and children – manners is the bridge of respect from which all ideas, especially for debate, can be aired and the outcomes always a win win for both sides. The biggest challenge today is the hate and vitriol of many on twitter and other social media – no interest whatsoever in any kind of debate and even on college campus getting contrary opinion speakers is rare – all of which in the end hurts the student for in the real world if you want peace and to find real solutions, they come only through negotiations and respectful debate. Knowing opposing views is critical and negotiation is truly an art.

8. True Millennials would google or view youtube videos on etiquette rather than attend a class or read an etiquette book.

9. Sound idea. I’m an Instructional Designer and I’ve been acutely aware of the need for this. I might not agree with the priorities of the course coordinator. Friendly, relaxed eye contact is much more impressive than holding cutlery. But that’s me. I’m constantly offended by twenty-somethings unable to make eye contact and sneaking looks when they think it won’t be noticed. But I’ll never knock somebody for trying to improve themselves. So, good luck with all that.

10. Po0r babies! Their parents didn’t teach them any etiquette or social skills. Many of the parents
    don’t have any social skills. Emphasis has always been on sports . Competion only cultivates rudness.

11. I am ashamed to be lumped into the “millennial” category, I am ashamed of my generation and their lack of intelligence, respect and understanding of how this country actually works.

Us “deplorables” had to live under 8 years of Obama’s tyranny. We watched our freedoms gradually being taken away. We saw the gun grabs coming. Conservative speakers were not being allowed on college campuses. Trump rally attendees being physically beaten…

Thanks to Obama, we have expensive health insurance forced on all of us. Even auto insurance is forced on us (thank god for $25/month Insurance Panda coverage). What’s next? Mandatory phone insurance? We have taxes on top of taxes and our freedoms are slowly disappearing.

Thomas Jefferson and George Washington would be rolling in their graves if they saw all these riots happening after an election was won FAIR AND SQUARE.

1. I couldn’t recall where I’d seen this so I went to the Colonial Williamsbyg site. A few thoughts from our First President.

12. Smith Dee says:

want to brush up on social skills…? quit focusing on yerself…

13. Dusty Rhodes says:

What happened to mom and dad teaching these things at the dinner table?

14. Interesting that I’m older and just the opposite. I have good one-on-one people skills, but I’m lacking in social media skills, especially what’s available and how to use/operate them.

15. They know nothing about etiquette but everything about sex. LOL
    Says a lot about the parents who raised them.

16. Paul King says:

Let’s start with not wearing a hat inside, no phone use in doctors’ offices or cashier lines, and not cursing. Being tech savvy and having no manners shows that being tech savvy doesn’t make you smart.

Comments are closed.