Ben Roethlisberger Plans To Return In 2017

PITTSBURGH (CBSNewYork/AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn’t quite ready to head off into retirement.

Roethlisberger announced on Twitter Friday that he’s told the Steelers he plans to be under center in 2017.

“Informed the team I am looking forward to my 14th season,” Roethlisberger posted. “Steeler Nation will get my absolute best.”

The two-time Super Bowl winner, who turned 35 last month, hinted after Pittsburgh’s loss to New England in the AFC championship game that he needed to take stock before committing to returning.

“I’m going to take this offseason to evaluate, to consider all options, to consider health and family and things like that and just kind of take some time away to evaluate next season, if there’s going to be a next season,” Roethlisberger told 93-7 The Fan in Pittsburgh in January.

Though everyone from coach Mike Tomlin to general manager Kevin Colbert to team president Art Rooney II believed Roethlisberger would be back, Roethlisberger kept quiet publicly until Friday.

Roethlisberger passed for 3,819 yards and 29 touchdowns for Pittsburgh last season as the Steelers went 11-5 and won the AFC North for the second time in three years.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

CELEBRATING 50 YEARS
Get Our Morning Briefs

Watch & Listen LIVE