New York State Boy Overdoses On Cannabis-Infused Gummy Candy

RAMAPO, NY (CBSNewYork) — A little boy in Rockland County, New York suffered a health scare after eating sour gummy candy infused with medical cannabis, according to police.

Police say the 10-year-old’s father allowed him to sit in the family car by himself, where he discovered a pack of the laced treats.

“It looks like a bad of candy, you would never think it was anything other than a bag of candy,” said Ramapo Detective Lieutenant Mark Emma said.

After eating some of the sour gummies, the boy suffered from the effects of THC and was taken to the hospital, according to police.

“He ends up getting sick, sick to his stomach. He feels weird and strange,” Emma said.

Officers from the Ramapo Police Department were called to the emergency room at Good Samaritan Hospital, where they were told that the boy ingested at least one piece of the candy containing 250 mg or more of THC.

The boy was treated and released. His father, 37-year-old Ephraim Zagelbaum of Spring Valley, was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

He did not have a prescription for the drug, but said it belonged to a friend, WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell reported.

“It’s a prescription and you wouldn’t leave a bottle of vicodin or a bottle of oxycodone laying around,” Emma said.

Zagelbaum was released from police custody on his own recognizance as the “candy” was taken into evidence for proper testing and weighing.

Additional possession charges for Zagelbaum are pending.

More From CBS New York

CELEBRATING 50 YEARS
Get Our Morning Briefs

Watch & Listen LIVE